The 2017 Northwoods Book Festival is underway! Eight author events are scheduled in six northwoods communities this summer, including an appearance by BJ Hollars, author of Flock Together: a love affair with extinct birds, here at the Mercer Library on August 8.
For more information about the series, visit www.northwoodsbookfest.org.
The Northwoods Book Festival is a joint project of six libraries in northern Wisconsin:
- Mercer Public Library
- Boulder Junction Public Library
- Frank B. Koller Memorial Library in Manitowish Waters
- Minocqua Public Library
- Presque Isle Community Library
- Winchester Public Library
All programs are free and open to the public. Events will be held at each participating library, and patrons are encouraged to attend events at all of our participating locations. The 2017 Northwoods Book Festival series is also sponsored by a grant from the St. Matthias Thrift Shop in Minocqua, Wisconsin.
The Friends of the Mercer Library recently sent out their 2017 membership drive mailing. Please consider becoming a member or renewing your membership with a donation.
The Friends of the Library provide funding for many of the fun things we do here at the library, including most of our public programming, new furniture, equipment, and much more. They also host several events each year including their summer Pie Social, Used Book Sale, and annual Fall Celebration.
If you aren't a member and didn't receive a renewal form in the mail, stop by and pick one up at the library or download a membership form here.
The Mercer Library is beginning a new event series called “Community Chats,” where we invite a representative from one of our local service agencies to talk about what they do for the community. This is your chance to visit with town and county officials, ask questions, and learn more about the many services available to our residents.
Chats will be held on Fridays at 9:30 a.m. We’ll provide the coffee and snacks!
- October 14, 2016: Judge Patrick Madden, Iron County judicial court
- December 2, 2016: Zona Wick, Iron County Health Department
- November 4, 2016: Mark Marczak, Aging Unit of Iron County
- January 6, 2017: Eric Nasi, Iron County Veterans Services
- February 10, 2017: Heather Palmquist, Iron County Land and Water Conservation (Please note the changed date.)
- March 3, 2017: Sheriff Tony Furyk
- April 7, 2017: Neil Klemme, Department head, Iron County UW-Extension
- May 12, 2017: Jodi Fox Engleman, Nicolet College Continuing Education and Outdoor Adventure program (Please note the changed date.)
- June 2, 2017: Dana Baumgartner, EMS and Fire Service specialist at Nicolet College, along with local fire and EMS volunteers to discuss information on our local departments
- July 7, 2017: Margaret Meno, Mercer post office
Job Seeker is a collection of free resources, recommended by Wisconsin public libraries, to help build skills and find jobs. The site includes information about available jobs, including job posting websites, government job sites and local job seeker services. It also includes information on job hunting, writing cover letters, interviewing, writing resumes, and training programs. Check it out!
There are several ways you can keep in touch with what's happening at your library. Pick what works best for you, or sign up for them all!
Monthly Email Newsletters: We generally send out one newsletter a month sharing all of our upcoming events and other news. Click here to sign up for e-newsletters.
Follow us on Facebook: Get up-to-the-minute news, events, and announcements on our Facebook Page.
Text reminders: Get a text reminding you of upcoming Mercer Library events about a day before they happen. Click here to sign up or text @mercerpl to 81010. (Standard messaging rates may apply.)
Mercer Public Library - 2648W Margaret Street, Mercer, WI 54547 - 715-476-2366 Voice or FAX
If you shop at Amazon.com here's how you can support the library at the same time. Visit Amazon Smile to tell Amazon that you want to support Friends of the Mercer Public Library. Then, every time you shop at Amazon Smile, a portion of the proceeds will benefit your library. It's that easy!